Skip Navigation

현대미술 작가들과 작품을 소개하는 곳입니다.

선생님 2012-05-08 11:21 조회 수 1631 댓글 수 2

phpThumb_generated_thumbnailjpg (1).jpg

phpThumb_generated_thumbnailjpg.jpg

“I don’t like hard, heavy materials … I prefer fine and delicate things.”

Born: Yuxi City, Yunan province, 1953

Say sculpture and most people think of something solid and opaque. Shi Jindian’s sculptures are made of steel, yet they are almost ethereal. After searching for years for “a material that was brand new, completely untraditional”, he settled on steel wires. By trial and error, he learned how to crochet the two-dimensional strands into three-dimensional forms using tools of his own devising. His wire meshes start out as wrappings around some common object. When the mesh is complete, Shi Jindian destroys or extracts the object, leaving only its steel “shadow”. The result, he says, is a kind of fiction, a virtual reality that can be walked around and touched. His Blue CJ750 (2008) is a replica of the Chiangjiang [Yangtze], a military bike based on an early BMW. Beijing Jeep’s Shadow (2007) translates the chassis of an army jeep into an object of pure contemplation, a kind of dream—which a car long was for millions of Chinese. Each of the works is accurate to the smallest detail. They took years to make, but he found serenity in the toil. When people touch his sculptures, he says, they also touch “the state of mind that emerges from the labour of my hands: tranquillity and calm”.

댓글 2

철사 구부리느라 손많이 아팠을듯...

No profile

그림 공부를 시작하면서 두려웠었던 한 가지... 노가다... 질색인데... 잘 할 수 있을까???

고집스런 집착이 느껴지는 작품. 한 군데라도 마치 확대경을 들이댄 듯 한 사진이 있으면 좋겠어요. 작가의 노가다 수준을 더욱 잘 이해할 수 있도록...

List of Articles
번호 제목